Saturday, March 12, 2011

Testimonial of a Burgeoning Locavore

by Rick Caspers-Ross

I started a journey a few years ago when my wife came home
and announced that she had declared war on products containing High
Fructose Corn Syrup. Until this point in my life I had never
thought much about the food we ate and to be honest, I wasn’t
really on board.

Since then I’ve done a lot of reading and thinking about the politics
of food. I have become deeply concerned that our food systems, and
therefore our very survival, are in the hands of corporations. I'm
worried about how healthy and safe the food we eat is and our diet’s
effect on the environment, on the lives of the animals and the workers
it relies upon. The issues are so large that I find it hard to wrap
my arms around them all.

In response to these concerns, and before even moving to Massachusetts, we
started dreaming about the fruit trees, berry bushes, perennial and
annual vegetables we would plant. We wanted to create sustainable
systems that wouldn’t require toxic pesticides or chemical
fertilizers. I learned the words “food forest” and “permaculture”.
We researched bees knowing we would need to create a pollinator-
friendly environment in our garden, and consequently learned about
Colony Collapse Disorder, a phenomenon which caused unexplained and
unprecedented deaths in bee colonies. That day we decided we would
keep bees.

Some of the plans we made have come to fruition, some are in
progress, while others have changed. We are growing mushrooms,
blueberries and raspberries but for now our plans to raise chickens are on
hold due to zoning laws.

I have found great joy in growing our own food and sharing our bounty.
It has led me places I never expected, and I have met some wonderful
people. Food has great power to bring people together, to heal and
nurture. No one likes to eat alone.

This past fall I found a farm in Gill that was still selling seed
garlic late in the season, and I arranged a visit to purchase some one
night after work. Just before leaving the farm I asked if they could
point us to a good local restaurant as it was getting late and I had
my wife and son with me. None of us had eaten. Farmer Dan said,
"Absolutely," and pointed toward his house, saying, “My kitchen is that
way.”

We shared an amazing meal that night and I was blown away by
Dan and his wife’s generosity. When I think back to that night I am
reminded of that simple act of kindness to a total stranger and how I
would like to see more of that in the world. I want to help create more of
that in the world.